Home Is Where Your Start Is
“Home wasn’t a set house, or a single town on a map. It was wherever the people who loved you were, whenever you were together. Not a place, but a moment, and then another, building on each other like bricks to create a solid shelter that you take with you for your entire life, wherever you may go.”
― Sarah Dessen
We are continuously grateful for the homes which form our Asheville Sober Living Program. We offer the Fundamentals (initial) Program at both the Kingfisher and Peregrine Houses, the Bridgework (intermediate) Program at Nighthawk Cottage, and The Transitions (step-down) Program at The Redtail House.The ideal length of stay at each Program will vary by the individual, but we don’t foresee our entire course of care ever exceeding eighteen months. Six- to nine-month stays tend to be the average, and not everyone will move to various homes. For Member Privacy, we do not list the latter two homes addresses publicly. However, Family and Program Allies may absolutely visit after checking in with Staff.
- DO call ahead of time to arrange your visit. Visiting is a great way to meet our Staff and hear directly from our Members about their impression of our work.
- DO bring your questions (any & all) and don’t be afraid to ask ’em!
- DO sign a Confidentiality Agreement upon entry.
- DON’T pass up a cup of coffee, tea, or even a slice of pie!
Our Initial Program home, and the center of our activity is the Kingfisher House, located near the Beaver Lake Community, adjacent to the Audubon Bird Sanctuary. Eight Members with one full time live-in Staffmember reside in Kingfisher. Here are the great perks of this nest, which is the center of all of our Program Activities:
- Walking distance to: 10 different NA/AA meeting sites, two different markets (and a weekend Farmer’s tailgate market) with healthy, organic selections;
- Across the street from: Beaver Lake, with boating and fishing access, which has a year-round walking/running trail circumference of 3 miles, with broad green fields.
- Easy access to: Asheville’s metro area bus route (seven day, year round), bike friendly streets and neighborhoods, and safe sidewalks for getting in those steps.
- Conveniently nearby: excellent clinicians, specialists, and other outpatient providers making it easy to both get there are visit us!
- Naturally nestled… We are just a short drive to the Blue Ridge Parkway, via Elk Mountain Scenic Highway. The UNCA Botanical Gardens is about 5 minutes by car.
Peregrine is just four minutes to our northwest, snugly set in a lush patch of trees and greens, bordered by the rushing Beaverdam creek. Peregrine mirrors exactly what we do at Kingfisher, with five Members and one live-in Staff. Activities are split between these two amazing homes, or more accurately, united. Peregrine’s yard offers lots of space for gardening, play, yoga, and – of course! – community bonfires. There is a general expectation that those who join this home are a little more transportation independent and ideally (but not necessarily required) have been with Firebird for about a month in order to evaluate social wellbeing and interdependence.
Nighthawk is a home designed to accelerate the pace for promising Members for whom Step-Down is a reality, but could benefit from a bridge between the structure of Kingfisher and the interdependence of Redtail. A Staff-Intern lives full time at this 1920s bungalow, situated minutes from French Broad River access and just about five minutes from the main house in a quiet residential community. Members are expected to join us for major activities and those deemed as mandatory, as well as Community Dinners. No one passes those up! This intermediate level of care (Bridgework) is designed to last for three months or thereabouts.
The Redtail House
Members are typically eligible for Redtail after a minimum of 6 months of successful participation* in the Initial Program, and/or 3 months in Nighthawk Cottage. Located just north of fun and quirky West Asheville, Redtail is in quick walking distance to many convenient establishments- grocery, pharmacy, and family restaurants, as well as the bus route. Redtail is in a quiet community of modern townhomes- we don’t stand out, we blend right in. And that’s our goal. To simply be in community, setting a good example of what recovery looks like.
*Successful participation is evidenced by: steady outside structured activity (work or school), continuous meeting attendance with sponsor/mentor relationship, regular Program involvement, with minimal and/or no Demerits on file for 90 days.