Home Is Where Your Start Is
“Home wasn’t a set house, or a single town on a map. It was wherever the people who loved you were, whenever you were together. Not a place, but a moment, and then another, building on each other like bricks to create a solid shelter that you take with you for your entire life, wherever you may go.”
― Sarah Dessen
We are continuously grateful for our home at the Kingfisher House. The ideal length of stay at each Program will vary by the individual, but we don’t foresee our entire course of care ever exceeding eighteen months. Six- to nine-month stays tend to be the average. For Member Privacy, we do not list the address publicly. However, Family and Program Allies may absolutely visit after checking in with Staff.
- DO call ahead of time to arrange your visit. Visiting is a great way to meet our Staff and hear directly from our Members about their impression of our work.
- DO bring your questions (any & all) and don’t be afraid to ask ’em!
- DO sign a Confidentiality Agreement upon entry.
- DON’T pass up a cup of coffee, tea, or even a slice of pie!
Our Initial Program home, and the center of our activity is the Kingfisher House, located near the Beaver Lake Community, adjacent to the Audubon Bird Sanctuary. Eight Members with one full time live-in Staff member reside in Kingfisher. Here are the great perks of this nest, which is the center of all of our Program Activities:
- Walking distance to: 10 different NA/AA meeting sites, two different markets (and a weekend Farmer’s tailgate market) with healthy, organic selections;
- Across the street from: Beaver Lake, with boating and fishing access, which has a year-round walking/running trail circumference of 3 miles, with broad green fields.
- Easy access to: Asheville’s metro area bus route (seven day, year round), bike friendly streets and neighborhoods, and safe sidewalks for getting in those steps.
- Conveniently nearby: excellent clinicians, specialists, and other outpatient providers making it easy to both get there are visit us!
- Naturally nestled… We are just a short drive to the Blue Ridge Parkway, via Elk Mountain Scenic Highway. The UNCA Botanical Gardens is about 5 minutes by car.
*Successful participation is evidenced by: steady outside structured activity (work or school), continuous meeting attendance with sponsor/mentor relationship, regular Program involvement, with minimal and/or no Demerits on file for 90 days.